Cuso International, a non-profit international development organization, is seeking outstanding candidates to fill the positions below.
Program and Business Development Advisor Job Vacancy at Cuso International.
Job Title: Program and Business Development Advisor
Location: Calabar Municipality , Nigeria
Partner name: BTAN
Length of placement (months): 12
Start Date: June 2016
- BTAN is a network of over 40 CSOs established in 2003 to encourage accountable public sector budgeting through monitoring, analysis and advocacy. The network is composed of formal organisations (NGOs at the state level) and civil society organisations (religious organisations, community/kinship groups) at the local level.
- BTAN operates in five (5) LGAs with support from EU-SRIP and has also established volunteer based Community Vanguard Against Corruption and Corrupt Practices (CVACCP) in eleven (11) LGAs. The community vanguards work to ensure effective service delivery as well as engage in the budgetary process in their LGAs. The BTAN secretariat is administered by an Executive Secretary with other staff at the State level and in the Local Government offices.
- Since 2006, with funding from the European Union Support to Reforming Institutions Programme (EU-SRIP), Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and Concern Universal (CU), BTAN has been actively involved in the budgetary process at the State level. BTAN has built effective relationships with the Cross River State House of Assembly, the Budget Office and the Ministry of Local Government Affairs.
- As an indicator of BTAN’s relevance, the Cross River State Government has identified the organization as a recipient of the public sector budget circular issued by the State Budget Office. BTAN is accredited by the Federal Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) to observe procurements in federal establishments.
- Apart from the EU, BTAN has received support for its programmes from MacArthur Foundation, United Kingdom Department for International Development (DfID) through the Justice Development Peace Commission (JDPC), United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), Cross River State Department for International Cooperation (DIDC), Overseas Assistance Department Ministry of Finance, Delta State, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through Health Policy Project (HPP) of Futures Group, Washington. BTAN has monitored and tracked Maternal, Neo-natal and Child Health/ Conditional Cash Transfer programs of government since 2009 in collaboration with UNICEF and DIDC, CRS.
- In 2013, Futures Group Incorporated through the USAID funded Health Policy Project (HPP) supported BTAN to establish an Advocacy Working Group on Family Planning in Cross River State as well as perform budget tracking and advocacy related to Family Planning Commodities distribution. The FPAWG was able to get the Cross River State Government commitment in creating a budget line to support the distribution of family planning commodities in the Cross River State budget for 2014. The group was able to achieve this through advocacy visits to the chairman and secretary of CRSHA Committee on Finance and appropriation, the Commissioners for Health & Local Government Affairs, the Special Advisers Community Health Dept, Budget Monitoring & Evaluation Dept, Dept. of International Development Cooperation, Tulsi Chanrai Foundation, etc. There were also informal meetings, lobbying/reminders to Clerk of the House of Assembly, Directors of Budget & Administration in the Budget Office.
- The organization’s major strength is working with groups and professionals experienced in the areas of health, legislative advocacy and policy analysis.
The Volunteer’s Role
- In order to continue their vital work of supporting communities and groups with critical information to advocate for transparency and accountability in delivering essential public services that empowers and protects vulnerable groups, BTAN is in need of a volunteer who will build the capacity of the team to identify, cultivate, secure and steward funders and donors.
The volunteer will:
- Conduct a stewardship audit to identify past challenges to renewing institutional and individual donors.
- Assist BTAN staff and members in developing a case for support for each core program.
- Identify and build relationships with foundations, multi-laterals and private donors who have not previously supported the work of BTAN.
- Work collaboratively with the BTAN team to write and submit brilliant funding proposals.
- Conduct an in depth capacity assessment (CAP) of BTAN for Cuso International.
Essential Academic Qualifications
- A University Degree in Public Relations, Business Administration, Communication, Marketing or Social Sciences.
Essential Professional Background/Competencies:
- At least 3 years related work experience in non-governmental organizations, development agencies, hospitals, community based organisations in fundraising, business development and/or program development
Desirable Academic Qualifications:
- A Master’s Degree
Important information for candidates
Cuso International covers the following costs:
- Travel and accommodation for the five day departure training course and in country training orientation
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- The cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while overseas and upon return
- Accommodation while overseas
- Modest living allowance while overseas
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Fundraising: We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a onetime donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
- Evolunteering: Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide evolunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.