British Council Nigeria is recruiting to fill the following vacant positions:
- Assistant IELTS Administrator
- Nigeria Exams Officer
Assistant IELTS Administrator job vacancy at British Council Nigeria
Job Title: Assistant IELTS Administrator, Nigeria
Department/Country: Exams, Nigeria
Pay Band: Country Appointed PB6
Reports to: Head of IELTS Operations Nigeria
Purpose of job:
This post is responsible for the operational management of IELTS tests (International English Language Testing System) in Lagos and Port Harcourt. The post holder will manage 1) the expansion the IELTS business in Southern Nigeria and 2) manage the IELTS team and venue staff based in Lagos 3) monitor and improve the security of delivery of the tests 4) manage the delivery of IELTS preparation courses in Lagos and associate centres, and 5) monitor and improve the customer experience of the test process
Context and environment: (e.g. dept description, region description, organogram)
Nigeria, a tier 1 country, has the largest project, programme and exams operations in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). We operate from 4 main office locations. Individually, the Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt Exams offices alone are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd largest exams businesses by income in SSA respectively. Nigeria examinations work encompasses School exams, IELTS, and a wide range of academic and professional qualifications.
The Exams business in Nigeria has grown significantly in recent years. We doubled our income and volumes between 2011 and 2013. In 2014/15 we delivered 90,000 examinations, this financial year the target is 100,000 exams on a turnover of £8.5m.
Customer service, operational quality and compliance assurance are critical to the business. Nigeria’s operating context means that risk management and contingency planning will be ongoing areas of focus. Developing flexible and appropriate delivery models will be critical in responding to the challenges of working across the country. There are a number of initiatives underway to address these needs. The Global New Operating Model for Exams (GNOME) and Global Financial Change projects are critical to our business plans.
Accountabilities and responsibilities:
(including people management and finance)
- Operational delivery of IELTS exams: to lead and organise administration of pre and post-test examination activities including session planning, exam paper preparation, organising invigilation and marketing activities, providing relevant information to candidates.
- Quality: to deliver a high standard of customer service to our IELTS test takers as measured by our own Compliance and Quality Standards, IELTS partner standards and customer service standards. Support audit preparation activities. Monitor and manage stock (i.e. exam papers examiner materials, test materials, etc).
- Financial control, monitoring and reporting: to assist the Head of IELTS Operations Nigeria with managing the Nigeria IELTS businesses to target by monitoring and reporting income and costs on a monthly basis. Responsible for ensuring IELTS income reconciliations, refunds, over the counter payments and transfers are completed to standard.
- Reliability: to ensure examinations are delivered securely according to board requirements.
- Impact: to achieve impact for the UK and the BC through providing access to quality UK qualifications
- Leadership: to assist with managing the IELTS delivery teams, including venue staff and examiners to achieve challenging objectives.
- Business development: to provide assistance with implementing planned growth in the Nigeria IELTS business
- IELTS test delivery
- To ensure that IELTS tests are delivered to examination board, partners’ and QCA standards. To assist in delivery at peak times. To ensure that delivery plans are agreed in advance of activity.
- Compliance: Assist with carrying out regular inspections to examination venues across Nigeria, monitoring security processes against standards set by the examination board and QCA. Good recordkeeping is essential of all visits made. To conduct spot checks where necessary.
- To assist the Head of IELTS Operations Nigeria with response to and implementation of recommendations from exam boards, partners and QCA reviewers.
IELTS Business Development
- Marketing: Support marketing activities, as required. This may include participating in external events, supporting development of marketing collateral, etc. Liaise with local communication team to ensure information on website is accurate and up to date.
- Planning for IELTS Growth in Nigeria: Assisting the Head of IELTS Operations Nigeria on marketing action plan and planning targets (and capacity) for future years.
- Customer Service: Respond to candidate inquiries by email, phone and face to face. Provide assistance in a highly professional and friendly manner. Constructive problem solving to proactively resolve any issues.
- To prepare IELTS income reconciliations to agreed timescales.
- To ensure income is recorded correctly on the FABS (Financial and Business Support) system and in a timely manner.
- To ensure that FABS processes are followed by the Lagos IELTS team.
- Manage the inventory held for IELTS.
- To support monthly finance reporting and quarterly business planning activities.
- To contribute to Nigeria Exams team objectives by attending and contributing to staff meetings.
- To deputise for the IELTS Administrator.
- To Line manage up to 4 members of exams staff in Lagos.
- To assist with recruitment, training and monitoring for venue staff.
- To ensure training of venue staff is appropriate and takes into account feedback from partners and quality checks.
- To carry out periodic performance monitoring of venue staff and retain documentation for these.
- To assist with managing examiners and clerical markers attached to the Abuja office to PSN and IELTS standards.
Continuing professional development
- To ensure that elective and mandatory training is undertaken.
- To identify training needs for team, and assist in delivering this training.
Internal: Country Exams Manager, Deputy Country Exams Manager, Regional Exams Managers, Head of Operations (Exams), BSS (Business Support Services) team, teachers of English.
External: IELTS partners, IELTS Examiner Trainer, IELTS Examiners, school principals and exam coordinators, school associations. BCSN (British Council Schools Network), regional IELTS team.
Min Required Experience:
Other important features or requirements of the job
- (e.g. travel, unsocial/evening hours, restrictions on employment etc)
- Local travel to visit universities and schools occasionally in remote areas. Occasional travel to Port Harcourt/Kano/Abuja to conduct self-audits and training; therefore, overnight stays and weekend working may be required. IELTS tests usually take place on Saturdays. Examination deadlines are absolute so early morning starts and evening work may be required.
Working together (more demanding):
- Establishing a genuinely common goal with others.
Making it happen (more demanding):
- Being Accountable (more demanding)
Shaping the future (essential):
- Look for ways in which we can do things better.
- Creating Shared Purpose (essential)
Connecting with others (more demanding):
- Making regular opportunities to understand others better.
Skills and Knowledge
- Developing Business Level 2
- Researches markets and conducts cost/benefit analyses to identify new opportunities or recommend improvements to current initiatives
- (Analytical Skills)
- Using Technology Level 1
- Able, with adjustments if necessary, to use office software and British Council systems to do the job and manage documents or processes.(This includes Microsoft Office – Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- English Language proficiency to IELTS band 8.0 in all areas (or equivalent).
- Good presentation skills.
- Strong Attention to Detail.
- Customer Service Focus.
- Strong Organisation Skills.
- Ability to deal with conflict.
- Working to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the education and qualification systems in the UK and Nigeria
- Managing People Level 2
- Supervises a small team of people doing similar jobs to deliver short term tasks to agreed quality and time standards.
- Monitoring service to quality standards and implementing improvements.
- Dealing with customers and enquiries in a service environment.
- Previous line management experience.
- Training and managing a team to deliver to quality standards.
- Three year’s work experience as an operations manager.
- A first degree or equivalent.
- A 1st degree in an education-related field or NCE.
- A qualification in examinations management.
- Application Deadline: 03 May, 2016
***NOTE***: Click NEXT to go to the next vacant position.