UNICEF is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Communication Specialist (Campaign Manager) – L3 Temporary Appointment – 364 Days
Job Location: Nigeria
Educational Qualification: Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, International Development or other relevant discipline. (Or a graduate degree plus at least 12 years of demonstrated professional experience in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications).
Years of Experience: Three years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in campaign management/public advocacy within the United Nations, NGOs or other similar organizations. Experience leading or supporting communications activities/initiatives in Nigeria or other West African context is desirable
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
Start date: 1 September 2016 End date: 31 August 2017
Timeframe: 364 days (Full time) with possibility of renewal for a further 364 days.
Duty Station: Consultant will be based in Nigeria, with travel to New York and Seattle as required for successful implementation of initiative. Frequent travel may be required.
With support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and from UNICEF HQ, UNICEF’s Nigeria Country Office will develop and implement a 2-year communications campaign, seeking to raise awareness around serious and persistent inequities that exist in health and education within Nigeria.
This initiative will seek to generate lessons on successful approaches to increasing awareness and willingness to mobilize around the issue of inequity among targeted demographics and to document successful communications approaches. The initiative will build understanding around how to communicate effectively with a general audience on child survive and thrive equity issues and how to engage targeted audiences, primarily urban middle class, millennials and youth in Lagos and Abuja areas, around specific calls to action.
- Purpose of the position:
The purpose of the consultancy is to lead the process of planning, implementing, documenting and reporting on this initiative, with support and guidance from the Chief of Communications, UNICEF Nigeria Country Office, and a project manager based in UNICEF HQ. The contract is for an initial duration of 364 days, with possibility of renewal for a further 364 days.
- Expected results:
- Lead planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and documentation of a 2-year communications campaign focusing on inequity in Nigeria with support from 1) UNICEF Nigeria Country Office 2) UNICEF NY Division of Communication colleagues, 3) an external, Nigeria-based communications agency, which will be contracted to support this initiative.
- Working with selected communications agency, ensure successful completion of all tasks required to ensure effective planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and documentation of the campaign, including, but not limited to the following:
- Development of a comprehensive audience research report identifying: 1) media usage habits; 2) demographic insights; 3) language characteristics; 4) knowledge, attitudes, and practices; 5) other information pertinent to campaign development.
- Production of a campaign plan, media outreach plan, content development plan, influencer outreach and engagement plan and campaign evaluation plan.
- Testing of the campaign narrative and key messages to ensure relevance and impact
- Development of a revised campaign narrative and key messages based on testing findings to ensure campaign relevance. This exercise will be done after responses to KAP sample survey is compared with baseline results established during landscape mapping.
- Creation of campaign assets based on narrative and key messages, including PSA, imagery, social media and media assets, highlighting potential return on investment from strategic investments in equity around health and development.
- Roll-out of campaign plan, media outreach plan, content development plan, influencer outreach and engagement plan and campaign evaluation plan.
- Campaign implementation through activation of campaign assets via social media, traditional media outlets, influencer mobilization.
- Produce report highlighting lessons learned documented throughout the lifespan of the project, demonstrating impact achieved and shared with partners.
- Share datasets created as part of the above deliverables with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as part of regular reporting. Share compilation of datasets with the Foundation at the completion of the project.
Apply Before: Wednesday 3rd August 2016.