Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Manager
We are searching for…
- Search Nigeria is seeking a Safety and Security Manager to manage and advise on all aspects of safety and security of the Nigeria program.
- S/he will be responsible for designing and implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety and promoting, and ensuring their compliance.
- S/he will continuously assess the safety / security environment and devise risk mitigation measures as needed in coordination with Country Director (CD), head of offices, and Admin Manager.
- The Safety and Security Manager will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travels to field and other Search offices in Abuja, Yola, and Jos. S/he will report to the Country Director and work closely with the Head of Office, North East and the Admin & Procurement Manager.
The roles and responsibilities include:
Security Management and Support:
- Develop, review and ensure effective implementation of the Search Nigeria Security Management Plan (SMP)
- Ensure that the SMP includes clear security phases, each one characterized by specific indicators and thresholds, and appropriate response plans of action; and key Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure staff and offices’ compliance with SOPs and by extension the SMP and collaborate with the HQ Safety & Security Team and Regional Director as needed to seek alignment with Search global’s security policy, protocol and approach.
- Undertake regular Security Risk Assessments and maintain SMP relevance.
- Manage the implementation of a business continuity management system taking cognizance of the evolution of security contexts.
- Provide advice as part of the proposal development process to mitigate risks to programming and ensure that Search Nigeria’s security policy is adequately budgeted.
- Keep up to date lists of Search team members, relevant security contacts.
- Lead incident management, lessons learnt and any follow up actions/ changes to SOPs.
- Be readily available / reachable at all times.
- Provide safety and security training sessions to Search staff as well as partners upon requests and / or identify cost effective training opportunities available locally / nationaly.
- Conduct routine crisis management exercises for all staff and management.
- Conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation including medical, etc.)
- Provide support to partners in developing their security guidelines and promoting a security culture.
- Promote and encourage a safe and environmentally sound culture.
- Maintain up to date security analysis in Search’s areas of intervention in collaboration with State and non state actors including NGOs and UN security focal points.
- Provide regular security briefings and other security updates to the Senior Management Team, new staff, Search external visitors, and .
- Prepare timely security updates to the CD, Regional Director and the HQ Safety & Security Team.
- Advise on Search’s acceptance strategy of acceptance in accordance with humanitarian principles.
- Build and maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points, including NGOs, INSO, UN, EU, USAID and local authorities related to security issues, facilitate the sharing of best practices.
- Attend security & emergency related briefings and meetings.
- Collaborate closely with the Search’s programme and operations departments in Nigeria in design and implementation of SOPs, and with the Regional Director and the HQ Safety & Security Team on information sharing.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years of relevant experience with international NGOs in safety and security management, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations.
- University Degree in Security Management, Risk Management or related discipline
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing safety and security systems and protocols and provide training to staff and partners.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and working skills, enjoys a multicultural work environment
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Include the following in your cover letter:
- Minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- Projected start date,
- Where you found this posting.
- We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls please.