African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager, External Relations (PCER2)
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092363
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group.
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The purpose of the Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director Communication and External Relations, the incumbent of the External Relations Division oversees external affairs and partnerships, as well as coordinating the Bank’s external communications work in Headquarters and in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Division Manager has the following responsibilities:
- Develop strategies for and supervise donor and partner relations; oversee internal coordination, and policy and institutional relations.
- Foster strong external media relations and build and manage key media contacts strategically – supervises relations with media, and especially the proactive relations of works with media to plan a strategic media presence, place media stories, manage database and handle media inquiries and requests
- Manage editorial content – follow and cover the Bank’s news agenda across all platforms (web, social media) for external audiences: manage weekly news flows; plan forward coverage to focus on countries, projects, themes; write, edit, translate and post such stories.
- Manage external branding – safeguard and promote the Bank’s visual and written identity with external stakeholders and the media across all communications channels and vehicles.
- Publications – conceive, write/edit and provide production support for a coherent Bank literature programme.
- Drive increased media coverage and positive perception of the Bank and related activities through proactive pitching and creative media approaches.
- Collaborate with the Division Manager Internal Communication to cultivate story ideas from the across the Bank. Ensure that press releases and articles are written, edited and disseminated in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct research and interviews for articles, develop and write editorial content for print and electronic media.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or equivalent in Communications or any related field.
- Have a minimum of 8 years of relevant and progressive experience (3 years of which has been in a managerial position) in senior mass communications fields (corporate, non-profit and/or foundation) including public relations, journalism, marketing or related areas, with demonstrated stability and sustained commitment in previous position(s).
- Well-rounded experience in the development world or multi-lateral institutions, is desirable.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, with a portfolio demonstrating published works and high-level creative, thoughtful and polished printed communications collateral.
- Media relations experience, with the ability to detect and monitor emerging media interest and manage issues of media interest that affect the Bank and its diverse audiences.
- Extensive hands-on experience in multimedia, web design, branding, editorial content, broadcast content.
- Private sector experience is advantageous.
- Innovation and Creativity – The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication – to provide clear and concise oral and written communications; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirement of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving – Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation – Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team work and relationship – Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, share knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Knowledge of the media and ability to work well with representatives from different sectors of the media.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to implement and monitor mass communication programmes and campaigns.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, technical excellence and an established operational track record of excellence in achieving results.
- Strong management skills with the ability to drive change, inspire and grow team.
- Ability to work independently and in a team; display high level of integrity.
- Proven leadership and team building skills; results oriented and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is an asset.
- Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online