The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Abuja Delegation is looking for suitable candidates to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
- Complete tasks such as research, drafting legal notes, participating in meetings and drafting minutes for broad range of legal issues related to but not limited to International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law and Criminal Law.
- Provide legal advice to Assistance and Support Departments concerning contracts as well as other legal queries
- Assist Legal Department in ensuring that all ICRC staff are familiar with the international legal framework applicable in Nigeria
- Conduct research and analysis on specific legal matters to support the Legal Advisors and operations, as needed
- Assists the Head of the Legal Department in carrying out comprehensive reporting of external activities, meetings, record keeping, and internal communication
- Degree in Law
- Called to the Nigerian Bar
- Studied international law with a strong understanding of international humanitarian, human rights and criminal law
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, preferably in Nigerian criminal law, international humanitarian law and general practice including with an international or Nigerian organisation
- Excellent spoken and written English; passive understanding of French as asset
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy (competency in Microsoft Office and legal research databases)
- Understanding of the work and role of the ICRC in Nigeria
- Relevant work experience in international organisations and Nigerian organisations (i.e. law firm)
- Proven research and analytical skills; able to think critically and articulate legal arguments in a structured and professional manner
- Very strong organizational skills
- Passionate, motivated and diligent
- Able to work closely and constructively with others
- Very responsible and reliable; able to manage files independently, with support from Head of Legal Unit
Application Closing Date
29th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letters, Curriculum Vitae and contact details of three referees to: ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.orgPlease clearly indicate “Legal Officer Abuja” as the subject of your application.
- Applications intended for the role without the above subject will not be treated.
- Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.