UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate
Vacancy No: 2017/VA/028
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract:Three months (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Senior Programme Officer
Proposed Starting: Immediately
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent normally receives guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation. He/she may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Programme Associate. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
- Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer the incumbent shall carry out the responsibilities below:
- Assist in negotiating agreements with implementing partners and ensure that IP agreements are established in conformity with UNHCR’s financial rules and the latest Headquarters’ instructions.
- Undertake proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze Programme performance, trends and target interventions.
- Review the implementation and performance of IPs agreements through appropriate physical monitoring to evaluate the projects by reviewing work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures; undertake field visits as required.
- Use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in keeping donor representatives briefed on developments and assist in the development of funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications:
- Completion of Secondary education and post-secondary training/ certificate in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function
- Computer skills (in MS office)
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.)
- Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to office administration and programme activities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office package tools(emphasis on MS Excel)
Application Closing Date
4th January, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should complete and attach a UN Personal History Form(P11) to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to [email protected] quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please ensure that you use the attached P11 form for your application
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.