Channels Television is one of the 13 independent television stations currently broadcasting in Nigeria, since the Federal Government deregulated the broadcast media in 1992.
Are you that candidate with the right attitude and exceptional qualities we are looking for, who will effortlessly match competence and experience with our mission, core values and work ethics?
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Co-Production Researcher
Multimedia researchers are creative members of the production team who get involved in a wide range of tasks throughout the production process. They contribute ideas, research stories, plan sequences, find contributors, set up and when required filming inserts or interviews, support live broadcasts to ensure guests and content are available and live social media interaction can be used in the TV show, as well as providing production administrative support . The role may also involve working with outside broadcast providers.
Successful candidates will explore ideas, check factual details and undertake in depth background research, obtaining further information from all sources. You will have a track record in delivering ideas and contributing to original journalism. You will have a passion for interactivity through social media platforms and be prepared to immerse yourself in any task to support the production.
You will be expected to write clear treatments and proposals, ensuring consistency of content, quality and style. For developing stories you will be expected to follow coverage, amend and update material as required. You’ll contribute to an exciting, creative environment and be prepared to be flexible.
You will have a passion for current affairs on television. You will be an ideas person with a genuine ambition to find new and engaging ways to combine content with mainstream accessibility, diversity and entertainment values. You will have a good understanding of Nigerian audiences. As part of the core staff you will be expected to embrace flexibility across all output and be prepared to perform the non-editorial administrative tasks as required, in support of the producers.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
Researcher duties may encompass any or all of the following:
- Outstanding written and spoken English. Written and spoken Pidgin or Hausa is desirable
- Good knowledge across a broad range of subject areas.
- A proven ability to identify key ideas, debates and issues within a field.
- A proven ability to contribute to ideas for programmes, items and new treatments
- A proven ability to locate relevant sources of information, using initiative, perseverance and persuasion, and an extensive contact base.
- Ability to research potential contributors and guests and to build and sustain excellent relationships with them.
- Good writing skills.
- Ability to log and keep accurate records.
- Demonstrable understanding of the importance of the values of accuracy, impartiality, and decency.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work load and react positively to situations at short notice.
- An enquiring and analytical mind, able to pay attention to detail while maintaining an overview.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to express views and ideas at all levels both orally and in writing.
- Experience of working alone or in a team under supervision, maintaining good working relationships with colleagues and contributors.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- Drive and resilience to maintain personal effectiveness in the face of pressure, setbacks, or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Consistently delivers on time by effectively prioritizing, planning ahead and anticipating problems.
- Desirable to have some filming and operational/technical skills such as working with crews and/or self-shooting.
- To proactively embrace new technologies, new ways of working and innovation.
- Have strong demonstrable multi platform skills and/or willing to take up appropriate training initiatives.
- Understands the duty of care in general with regard to individuals’ well being and in particular with regard to Health & Safety issues.
- To work effectively to ensure all content is thoroughly researched and meets the BBC’s and Channels TV’s editorial standards.
- To work with the Senior Broadcast Journalist/ Broadcast Journalists in developing ideas / treatments and producing workable scripts / structured treatments.
- To assist in the recce of locations, and where necessary to assist in the direction of filming.
- Generates creative and innovative ideas and contributes to the development process, writes proposals which are considered good enough to be developed and pitched for commissions.
- To be across and proactive in writing, filming and editing material for multiplatform.
- Takes responsibility for own career development and successfully seeks out and takes on work across a range of output to build, develop and enhance skills and experience.
- Responds openly and flexibly to feedback and develops accordingly.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with Health and Safety regulations.
- Prepared to perform the non-editorial administrative tasks as required, in support of the producers.
Planning and Organizing:
Planning and Organizing:
- Able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resource requirements.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Able to express ideas clearly and adapt communication style to the needs of others by using a range of styles and approaches appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. The ability to understand the effect on others of one’s own personal style of communication.
- Able to demonstrate balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of the project commissioning brief, audience requirements, project guidelines and objectives.
Influencing and Persuading:
- Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
- Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Also works flexibly with changing technology and production techniques. Appreciates different/opposing perspectives on an issue. Adapts approach as the requirements of a situation change.
- Works co-operatively with others as part of a team. Works alongside, as opposed to, working separately or competitively. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with a wide range of people
Imagination and Creative Thinking:
- Demonstrates original and imaginative ideas and can transform into practical reality from inception through to programme transmission.
- Ready and able to take the initiative and originate action and take responsibility for the consequences of decisions made
Drive and self-development:
- Commits self to work hard towards defined goals and shows enthusiasm and career commitment and takes opportunities for learning and development
- Gathers relevant information from a range of sources and selects what is relevant and significant. Demonstrates a full understanding of the requirement and knowledge of sources and research methodology. Sifts information that is relevant and significant. Translates analysis into practical ideas for programmes. Thinks carefully and decisively particularly when faced with unexpected problems. Has confidence in own judgement but knows when to refer to a more senior level. Logically weighs up factors in order to make rational decisions.
Ability to work with deadlines and without close supervision.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and credentials detailing your skills, experience and interests, and a show reel or portfolio of your work with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Eligible candidates applying for this position must be able to live and work in Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.