Are you that candidate with the right attitude and exceptional qualities we are looking for, who will effortlessly match competence and experience with our mission, core values and work ethics?
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shoot Edit Co-Production
We need a creative and experienced shoot edit to work in a Co-Production Unit and work across all platforms with our journalists who work across TV, Digital and Social platforms. You need to demonstrate that you are experienced in filming and delivering creative ideas for digital and TV.
The successful candidate will need to have excellent knowledge of news and current affairs in Nigeria and across Africa and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media news coverage.
To provide high-quality and creative filming from the field, edit video and feed the material back to base.
Working closely with a Reporter you will be responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment. You will visually shape ideas for the Channels/BBC co-production as well as contribute your own story ideas.
- Offering creative ideas on how to film and illustrate news stories and features.
- Filming and sending video to base on breaking news stories.
- Shooting and editing complete news features.
- Recording reporter links and pieces to camera in creative ways and to edit full programme.
- Working closely with reporters to develop scripts and occasionally writing material.
- Field producing news coverage.
- Working abroad and in hostile environments.
- You may be required to work on other genres at times .
It is vital that you have excellent command of spoken and written English and a working grasp of at least one major Nigerian language.
- Shooting video of the highest quality for either live transmission or recording, providing a representative visual and audio account of events.
- This will include camerawork, sound work and lighting in the field and where required, at base.
- Contributing original ideas to improve the visual and journalistic content of the story and being aware of the different styles and formats.
- Selecting, preparing, and editing material for broadcast and meeting strict transmission deadlines.
- Setting up and coordinating on-site facilities to meet programme needs, including leading teams e.g. on multiple camera shoots.
- On occasion, undertaking interviews and some production duties on location in both recorded and live situations.
- Responsible for getting to locations with appropriate equipment, often on their own. Liaising effectively and establishing good relationships with all other contacts both outside and within.
- Maintaining professional standards of accuracy and impartiality and fair dealing.
- Contributing to the development of operational procedures and maximize the use of existing and new technology.
- Operating within standard Safety and Editorial guidelines. At all times maintaining professional journalistic, ethical and technical standards.
- Candidates will have relevant experience in a creative video or film environment, practicing a range of location craft skills (e.g. camerawork /lighting /editing /location facilities). They will be able to demonstrate strong interest in and proven commitment to content that appeals to an African audience and excellent news contacts.
- Experience of filming, editing, and packaging content for TV, digital and radio.
- Must have the full range of location craft and technical skills, the ability to operate current broadcast technical equipment on location and at base, demonstrating a well-developed sense of visual awareness and a willingness to learn how to use new technology and kit.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload, react positively to situations at short notice and plan ahead.
- Excellent digital skills with track record of researching and discovering stories and after appropriate training use PNG, Quickfire and other newsgathering systems.
- Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues across and within the organizations.
- Values variety and individual differences and help create a culture, environment and practices which respect and value differences.
- Demonstrable a thorough editorial awareness, understanding and judgment.
- The successful candidate will be required to travel at short notice and may be needed to work across Africa, sometimes for several days and may be asked to work in hostile environments.
- The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the requirements of news coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
- Translates news into high quality programming through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media. Has imaginative ideas of different story treatments and ideas.
Managing relationships and team working:
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people both internally and externally. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Is ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of decisions.
- The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Presents sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, including influencing the agenda of targeted outlets.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and credentials detailing your skills, experience and interests, and a show reel or portfolio of your work with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to: email@example.com
Note: Eligible candidates applying for this position must be able to live and work in Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.