BBC World Service is now recruiting for Business Reporter, Africa TV.
The BBC, is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million on Radio, TV, Digital (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic. We are committed to broadcasting to and from the continent in a style that meets the demands of our growing audience and as well as our language services, our presence in the region is also defined by our bureaux, special correspondents and bilingual reporters.
Job Title: Business Reporter, Africa TV
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/26520
Department: BBC Africa
Reports to: Business Editor, BBC Africa
Grade: Local Terms and Conditions
- The post holder will be based in a new Africa Business Unit. S/he will have be responsible for creating and presenting expert, authoritative and entertaining Business coverage in Nigeria and the surrounding regions, reporting for multi-platform outlets, including TV, online, social media and radio.
- The Reporter will deliver content for a daily and a weekly Business TV show and will be expected to contribute innovative ideas, drive the creative vision and present the content. S/he will also plan and produce video and TV packages, desk top editing, produce graphics, and arrange for guests to appear on our output.
- To compile and present engaging content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration of Business stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on TV, Digital and Radio and to develop treatments of the highest quality and with journalism at the heart.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To work closely with the BBC Africa teams in London, Dakar, Johannesburg and Nairobi. To have a good working relationship with Business departments within the BBC, all BBC Africa Services, external organisations and independent production companies.
- To prepare edited material either working in a self-op environment or with a craft editor to produce inserts and packages for the various outlets such as Business TV features, News bulletins, Online or social.
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and interview them for broadcast.
- To develop original ideas for digital content and create engaging blogs and vlogs for BBC online sites.
- To alert Editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on-the-spot reports.
- To adhere to Editorial Guidelines and BBC Industry Codes of Practice and be responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s Health and Safety Regulations.
- To strive for diversity of contributors, in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and age.
- Appreciate and demonstrate the BBC Values.
Skills and Experience
- Exceptional knowledge of business, in particular business stories that appeal to an African audience and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media business coverage.
- Excellent contacts within the business sector.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism.
- Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers with experience of high quality on air reporting and presentation, particularly in video.
- Ability to write creatively, accurately and succinctly, and understand how to find and generate original and engaging business stories that can work across all platforms.
- Strong digital understanding an awareness of the latest broadcast technology and the ability to learn new skills.
- Experience of making sound judgements on matters of editorial sensitivity.
- Creativity and ideas generation with the ability to think originally and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Well-developed organisational skills with the ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
- Good team working skills both as a team leader and a team player.
- An awareness of budget issues and delivering value for money.
- Resilience, determination, ambition, energy and enthusiasm.
- A full command of written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of a Nigerian language would be desirable.
- Experience of using a camera to film professionally
- Editorial Judgement – Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s Producer guidelines and Editorial Policy.
- Subject Knowledge – Demonstrates a good knowledge of business. Develops increasingly useful contacts and sources.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take initiative, and make decisions to tight deadlines.
- Planning and Organising – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Imagination and Creative Thinking – Translates business stories and events into high quality content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Communication -The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing and Persuasion – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing Relationships and Team Working – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Highly effective team player; works for the benefit of the whole team.
- Understanding Diversity – Understands and appreciates the uniqueness of self and others. Demonstrates, and is committed to improving, understanding of why people react in particular ways. Understanding diversity in its widest sense. Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC. Takes a balanced approach to discussing and taking action on diversity issues. Articulates how individual differences can benefit the BBC
Application Closing Date
29th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online