Mercy Corps Nigeria Latest Job Vacancy for Vocational Training Program Officer. Why not submit your cv to secure this job opportunity below.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vocational Training Program Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00015
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State, with at least 60% travel to project locations
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Senior Program Officer
Works Directly With: Finance, Programs and Operation Teams.
- The MAIDA Program will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way. Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return. Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Vocational Training Program Officer is a technical specialist that oversees the vocational training and apprenticeship components of the MAIDA Program
- The Vocational Training Program Officer is responsible for a cluster of ten communities in Borno State
- S/he will work closely with the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Borno State Ministry of Poverty Alleviation and Youth Empowerment to expend the existing Entrepreneurship Development Program and Skills for Jobs Program and will work with Skills Acquisition Centers to train at-risk youth and provide support for job placement
- The Vocational Training Program Officer will also support the creation of Multi-Skills Training and Resource Centers and conduct labor market assessments to guide vocational offerings.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the Community Mobilization Team to identify potential beneficiaries and enroll them into vocational skills training courses.
- Conduct labor market and needs assessments to identify in-demand vocational skills.
- Support the creation of Multi-Skills Training and Resource Centers in areas of return not already served by government facilities.
- Lead the development and implementation of vocational skills, entrepreneurship, climate-smart agriculture and other training modules in assigned geographic area.
- Lead the implementation of an apprenticeship program that connects youth with existing businesses. Identify local businesses accepting apprenticeships, coordinate transparent apprenticeship application and placement processes, monitor apprentice performance, ensure protection practices are followed by apprentice hosts and address complaints raised by apprentices and apprentice hosts.
- Lead the implementation of a cash grants for livelihood start-ups project that provides financial support to youth starting enterprises.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation Team to conduct monitoring of program activity implementation and outcomes.
- Coordinate activities with the Federal-level Youth Empowerment and Social Support Operation (YESSO), the Ministry of Youth and Sports, the Borno State Ministry of Poverty Alleviation and Youth Empowerment and the Central Bank of Nigeria’s Entrepreneurship Development Center to ensure complementarity of activities.
- Produce reports, including spreadsheets, reflecting trainings, apprenticeships and cash grants, number of beneficiaries and any other information relevant to the Program.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of activities and impact and make recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Carry out other duties as assigned or required.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with all Mercy Corps finance regulation in carrying out activities.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of a B.S. in Education, International Development or a related field. M.S. preferred.
- 4 years of experience working on the direct implementation of technical training, workforce development or entrepreneurship activities required.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative.
- Experience with youth and youth mobilization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with target communities.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, the Government and partners.
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri is required.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in northeast is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Application Closing Date
17th May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] All applications must include the position title in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.