Plan International is hiring…
Plan International is evolving in response to shifts in international development and humanitarian response. We are doing this so we can continue to make a stand for children’s rights. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. Having identified girls as the most marginalised group, they will be our ongoing focus as we work towards helping 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive within their communities. As we embark on this ambitious and exciting journey, we are recruiting for talent across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihoods Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Reports to: Project Manager with technical support from Livelihood Specialist
Contract duration: 12 Months and renewable up to 24 months based on satisfactory performance.
- Plan International Nigeria is seeking to implement the Adolescents in Emergencies Initiative over the course of the next three years, in line with the timeframe of Plan International’s global strategy.
- The initiative supported by IHA/GAC and Plan Canada will be promoting multi-sectoral and integrated humanitarian assistance to meet the holistic needs and capacities of adolescent girls and boys and promote their meaningful engagement across response sectors.
- The general lack of livelihoods for young people and families is seen as a major barrier to recovery and
- This position is responsible for Livelihoods (vocational training and Cash) activities in close collaboration with the project implementation team.
- The Livelihoods officers will be supervised directly by the Project manager with technical support and supervision from the Livelihood asspecialist.
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates with the Project Manager, across Plan International and with relevant implementing partners. The post holder will support the implementation of a robust livelihoods (vocational training and cash) activities.
- The post holder will interface and support programme team members and programme coordination.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Programme development & Quality Management
In collaboration with the Field Team and Livelihood/Cash Specialist, the Livelihoods Officer(s) will:
- Support the development and implementation of Livelihoods (Vocational skill training and Cash) component of the implementation plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all livelihood beneficiaries’ registration and in kind/cash distribution activities.
- Support to ensure that Vocational skill training and Cash specific elements of community and field level staff and volunteers capacity strengthening plans are successfully implemented.
- Report results of Livelihoods (Vocational skill training and Cash) activities by providing written documentation about progress toward achieving indicators/targets,as appropriate.
- Provide leadership at project location level on Livelihoods (Vocational skill training and Cash) activities to ensure project technical integrity to achieve project/program goal and corresponding objectives and targets
- Ensure high-quality implementation, in close collaboration with the Field based team and sector Specialist (Livelihoods) and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems
- Lead efforts at project location to conduct project interventions activities (Vocational skill training and Cash), document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision-making
- Lead efforts to training Livelihood Facilitators, vendors and Financial Services agents to set-up systems for effective cash/in-kind distribution and crowd control at such events to facilitate record keeping
- Utilize the pre/post distribution assessment data collected to inform strategic decision-making and project planning
- Support the project team to conduct targeted evaluations and operations research, including design, data collection, management and analysis for livelihoods activities.
- Cultivate strategic sectors relationships and networks, and act as alternative representative of the livelihood and cash sector in SAFE, FSSWG, ERLWG and CWG meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Support to ensure that relevant data (5Ws, 3Ws and related MIS data) are entered into organization-wide data management system designed to capture, analyse, and disseminate project data
- Support the dissemination of project information among the project team
- Facilitate Livelihoods (Vocational skill training and Cash) capacity-building activities project staff and field level partners.
Human Resource Development:
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of field level and community based staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with organisational requirements
Learning and knowledge management:
- Shares information within the project team about livelihood, market and cash assessment findings and lessons learnt in a logical and regular manner.
- More specifically shares information within the project team about pre/post distribution monitoring, price monitoring, findings and lessons learnt in a systematic timely manner.
- Shares information within the programme team about livelihood, market and cash approaches and supports the documentation of lessons learnt, approaches and good practices.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing with IHA/GAC, CNO and among sector – specfic partners in the northeast and supports such processes within and between Plan International offices at Country, National and regional levels.
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the project manager or Sector Specialist for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant information for project reports and proposals for Plan
- International domestic and international consumption as directed by his/her supervisor.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s project/ programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the project/ programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Accountancy or Business Administration and a minimum of 2- year of work experience in educational or livelihoods operation with an emergency or development program or banking institution – Required.
- Prior experience with Plan International or local partner organization or a microfinance bank is – preferred.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proven expertise and understanding of diverse cash transfer modalities
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public and NGO sectors.
- Strong understanding of cash transfer policy and compliance requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English/ Hausa including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for report writing.
- Familiarity with cash based transfer, group organizing and mobilization for safety net projects
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to utilization of digital platform for cash transfer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages (Excel/Word document)
- Ability to travel nationally at short notice.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Level of Contact with Children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have medium to low contact with women and children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and a Statement of Interest responding to how they have demonstrated the above listed values in the course of their career to: [email protected] Indicate the Job Title and Location as subject of the mail
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Sent all applications as specified above.