Plan International is hiring…
Plan International is evolving in response to shifts in international development and humanitarian response. We are doing this so we can continue to make a stand for children’s rights. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. Having identified girls as the most marginalised group, they will be our ongoing focus as we work towards helping 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive within their communities. As we embark on this ambitious and exciting journey, we are recruiting for talent across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (with frequent travels to Bama, Dikwa and Mongono LGA’s)
Department: Humanitarian Program
Reports: Child Protection In Emergency Specialist
- The purpose of this role is to co-ordinate and manage Child Protection and GBV Project funded by IHA/GAC in line with
- International best practices and relevant guidelines.
- The post holder is expected to have strong GBV Child Protection and
- Livelihood programming background and knowledge
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates widely within Plan International Nigeria across Plan International and with local implementing partners. The post holder with support from the M&E Manager will ensure the establishment of a systematic Monitoring and Evaluation system for the project.
- The post holder will interface and support project team members, support project coordination and implementation. S/He will ensure project is implemented according to time line and on budget.
- The role requires strong project management skills including facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and support to the implementing project team, in all phases of the project cycle Develop an activity implementation plan with the project team
- Lead/organize regular monitor visits and if required project action plans revisions and modifications
- Responsible for the development of all narrative and financial report (with support from Grants Officer and finance department and technical review by CPiE Specialist) in line with donor and Plan’s requirements
- Ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations
- Monitor budget and ensure adequate burn rate with support from Emergency Response
Manager and CPiE Specialist:
- Working with M&E Coordinator/Manager, ensure adequate data capturing of project beneficiaries.
Information and Coordination:
- Liaise and provide project updates and reports on a frequent basis and whenever required and agreed as per FAD to the line manager
- Organize and attend regular meetings with project stakeholders (CNO, Sector
- Coordinators, Government) as deem necessary by line manager
- Represent Plan International Nigeria in coordination meetings as designated by line manager
Human Resource Development
- Working with CPiE Specialist and Livelihood Specialist to support the orientation, on-going development/training and capacity building of project in Gender Based Violence, Child
- Protection in emergencies and Cash Transfer modalities to ensure a high level of expertise in line with donor and organizational requirements.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
- In collaboration with M&E Coordinator/Manager, Communications Coordinator and CPiE Specialist, develop project briefs, lessons learnt and best practice documents that could feed into new projects idea
- In collaboration with M&E and project officers, lead on assessments and other project documentations, that could possible feed into project development.
- With technical support from the CPiE Specialist, lead on the development of concept notes and new funding proposal for the project implementation areas.
- Dealing with Problems
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Humanitarian Programme Manager for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the conta
- Bringing hearts and minds together for children
- Various departments within Plan Nigeria (HR, Finance, Admin, Programmes etc)
- Project Managers and coordinators of projects considered to be part of the Lake Chad Programme.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree in Development Studies, Project Management, Social Science or related field and experience in INGO with at least 3 years of work experience in humanitarian response and managing of Protection project, Master’s degree is preferred.
Skills & Knowledge:
- At least 3 years’ experience in Gender Based Violence and or Child Protection programming
- Experience dealing Canadian government funded project including UN funded projects
- (UNICEF/UNFPA/UNOCHA) regulations
- Proven experience of budget management and ability to develop project catch up plans and expenditure
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public and NGO sectors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for publication.
Knowledge and skills:
- General knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Principles and core standards eg CPIE Minimum standards, Gender Based Violence in Emergencies
- Guidelines, Core Humanitarian Standards, SPHERE and other relevant international standard for humanitarian response
- General implementation experience in a managing role in humanitarian response
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Proficiency in word processing and Microsoft Office.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Bringing hearts and minds together for children
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands
- Travel to project locations is required as necessary to ensure that programme are effectively monitored. The project Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State with extensive travel to Bama, Dikwa and Mongono LGAs.
- Ability to travel to LGAs for at least 70% of the time
Level of Contact with Children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have frequent contact to low contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit submit their CV’s and a Statement of Interest responding to how they have demonstrated the above listed values in the course of their career to: [email protected] Indicate the Job Title and Location as subject of the mail