Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Regional Human Resources Officer – Africa
: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Department: Corporate Services
Contracted hours: 35
Contract Length: 2 years
Reporting to: Head of People Africa
- To provide functional and/or technical support and implement operational plans to enhance the organisation’s performance through our people in the Africa Division
- The role will primarily focus on enhancing the capacity of the regional team to offer an effective day to day operational service to Country Programmes and Regional Teams
- The role will also closely support the Head of People Africa in the execution and follow up of project activities to enable timely strategic interventions and, effective talent management in the Africa Division.
- Country teams and managers, are provided with high quality advice and customer service on operational day to day advice, particularly around implementing CA HR policies and procedures to ensure appropriate application.
- Country HR staff understand HR processes and systems and are trained and supported on any issues arising, by creating trusted relationships with key stakeholders in Country teams and at divisional level to enable successful people management.
- Recruiting managers and are supported with recruitment processes on EARCU as necessary for timely broadcast of vacancies.
- Heads of Regional Teams are supported in managing senior level recruitment and offered the necessary accompaniment and support, while making the necessary links with Country Programme HR staff.
- Periodic workforce reports and updated performance scorecards are updated and submitted to ensure people management accountability across the AD and, inform decision making and the development of appropriate interventions.
- Together with the other members of the Africa people team and the wider global people functions, a good and complete induction programme is in place to support the integration of new starters as necessary.
- Contribution is made to the development and support offered for the understanding of CA policies and procedures, and their role out effectively coordinated.
- Working closely with the Regional People Business Partners, complex case work is supported ensuring adherence to labour laws, HR policy and effective record management.
- Assistance to countries on scale up support to emergencies in conjunction with the HT.
- Backfill HR support is provided to Country Offices as necessary in change management and/or in the event of resource gaps or expansion of programmes.
- Delegated projects are successfully managed and delivered according to the HR Plan Objectives.
- On call/unsocial hours – Yes
- Surge capacity for emergency responses – Yes – could be required to to travel for more than 75 days p.a. and for a period of up to 3 months but for no more than 6 months p.a. with no less than one month’s interval between postings unless in extreme circumstances.
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- Based in a Christian Aid Country office, this role works within the Global People Function to ensure that Countries are enabled to deliver their strategies effectively through their people, and that staff and volunteers excel and thrive while working at Christian Aid
- To be successful in the role, the post-holder needs to understand the organisational HR Policies, Procedures and Systems, as well as be technically adept at HR Management
- The post holder will need to build excellent relationships with their key clients, managers and Country HR staff, and be viewed as a credible partner in executing HR operations
- They will need to be assertive but adaptable and be able to demonstrate initiative and influence beyond their level of authority
- The post holder will need to be resilient and able to meet constant challenges and demands.
- May liaise with third party service providers as well as support participate in external networks.
- Works closely with other staff in the Global People Function both in the Division and overseas. Works closely with members of other regional teams such as Humanitarian, Programme Innovation and Funding, ICT Services and Divisional Leadership groups. Relates to employees at all levels in Christian Aid, especially with Managers and HR staff in client areas.
- Budgetary/savings responsibility N/A
- Advises on the most appropriate and credible advice and approach to managers and employees on legal, policy and contractual HR matters, in compliance with employment legislation and best practice
- Offers guidance on the most appropriate method for recruiting staff.
- The ability to make sense out of data and attention to detail is integral to this role
- Work could be varied and complex. Ability to make sound judgement regarding the sensitivity of matters they are dealing with is critical
- Compliance with employment legislation, good risk management principles and people centred form the basis for execution.
Developing Self and Others:
- Works closely with managers and staff in designated business areas to provide proactive advice and support in dealing with people management issues
- Works within a peer group with other People roles and the HR Tier 1s to develop and support each other.
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Not required
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- At least 3 years of professional HR work experience
- Professional qualification in Human Resources and/or related field with experience in general human resources management. Ability for capacity building and skills transfer including logical delivery of training in HR areas
- Proven ability to plan mid-term, organized priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professionalism.
- Experience of offering support across multiple teams
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with all stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required
- Experience with HRIS
- Fluent in English.
- Previous work experience in an international development organization including work within multicultural context.
- Experience in data analytics
- Working knowledge of French
Full Time Salary
N8,501,197 – N9,871,477
Application Closing Date
24th August, 2018
9th September, 2018
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online