The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GIS (Geographical Information System) Consultant – Nigeria
Position Number: 18:138
Division: Program Management
International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) has long supported the Operations Department of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in identification and implementation of innovative projects and technologies in their work. In preparation for upcoming 2019 Elections and implementation for nationwide Election Monitoring and Support Centre (EMSC) activities, along with logistics and movement planning, it is essential for the INEC to have exact GIS (Geographical Information System) mapping of the Polling Units across the country.
INEC needs an experienced GIS Consultant to work with its team to share the knowledge and built up the capacity that will help the Commission both in preparation for upcoming elections as well as establishment of long term capacity for GIS integration across their electoral work via development of a permanent GIS laboratory. Specific requirements include: supporting INEC to establish an internal, professional GIS laboratory; training the INEC staff; planning for efficient integration of GIS databases into other electoral data sets such as voter registration databases; technical assistance in key pre-national election GIS activities as outlined below; and other related professional tasks.
The GIS Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Assess the current status of preparations for setting up the INEC GIS laboratory
- Train the INEC staff to operate and manage the GIS laboratory
- Support INEC staff in development of GIS databases (both relational and spatial)
- Support integration and linkage of the GIS data with the voter registration databases as well as data harmonization of voter registration and GIS datasets
- Support development of spatial datasets for development of web mapping
- Support identification, mapping, gathering of coordinates and reconfiguration (additions, relocation, consolidation and splitting) of polling units
- Support the mapping of approximate boundaries of registration areas
- Support preparation of geographical demarcation and maps for usage in electoral purposes
- Support INEC collaboration with the Office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation (OSGOF) and the National Boundary Commission (NBC) to ensure INEC utilizes the official and most up-to-date administrative boundary datasets as well as collaboration with the National Population Commission (NPopC)
- Support development of security risk mapping
- Support collaboration with all stakeholders in utilization of a full spatial data infrastructure for Nigeria to facilitate GIS support for electoral activities
- Other related tasks as assigned by the CoP.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a relevant field (Geography, Geology, Geo-Spatial Analysis).
- 10+ years’ experience in the creation of GIS maps and manipulation of other GIS software.
- Ability to be in-country in Nigeria for up to six months full time for the length of the consultancy.
- Experience in the production of cartographic publications (in print or digital).
- Experience advising and training electoral management bodies on GIS
- Electoral GIS experience is required.
- Knowledge of Nigerian electoral environment is strongly preferred.
Application Closing Date
27th August, 2018
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications, current Resume and Cover Letter to: email@example.com
Note: Only applications sent by email will be considered and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.