We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Value Chain Advisor
Slot: 2 Openings
Direct Reports: M&E Officer, WEWE Executive Director
Purpose and Scope of Work
- The State Value Chain Advisor’s role will cover all critical technical maize and or soya bean value chain activities, and focus on systematically on developing and maintaining business relationships between small holder farmers, farmer collectives, private sector and other actors within the value chain to realist the objective to build resilient and sustainable farming.
- He/she will also provide advice and identify business opportunities for farmers and processors.
- The VC Advisor will provide strategic leadership in market systems performance and facilitation
- The VC Advisor will provide effective management and oversight of the portfolio of interventions within the selected market sectors
- The VC Advisor will manage a team of staff who will identify constrains to growth in the selected sectors and identify leverage points to facilitate change in how these markets can function effectively and serve as one of the drivers for economic and social resilience.
- The VC Advisor will work directly with the Deputy Chief of Party and project leads to implement resilience sensitive value chain activities in northern Nigeria
- The VC Advisor will provide technical support to clients and partners; plus support project staff in achieving value chain development goals
- The VC Advisor will contribute to the overall success of the implementation of value chain grants.
- The State Programme Manager will have overall responsibility for the implementation of the project in line with the approved design, and in compliance with the donor requirements.
- S/he will be required to liaise with all implementing partners and government agencies in Niger and Kaduna State. The post will be based in the WEWE Abuja office (Project Secretariat) with frequent trips to the project sites, State offices (Niger and Kaduna).
- The role of the Value Chain Advisor will be intensive, covering all activities along the commodity value chain.
- It will also include coordinating farmer mobilization, awareness creation at all levels, training of farmers in best practice agronomic practices, post-harvesting handling, agriculture enterprise curriculum, managing farmer-agribusiness company relationships, dissemination of improved technologies and new practices relevant to value chain actors such as buyers to improve competitiveness at farm level and the rest of the value chain.
- In addition to technical roles, the Value Chain Advisor will assist with planning, implementation, and monitoring of commodity value chain specific activities as well as managing the work of short-term service providers.
- Overall coordination, management and delivery of the project in line with the donor requirements and as per the approved design, implementation plan and budget;
- Work with the Finance Manager, M&E Manager, Audit/Compliance Officer, the management team and other relevant technical advisors to ensure high quality programming, with periodic design/ redesign of interventions based on lessons learned;
- Ensure accurate plans and budgets are prepared in suitable formats, up to date, and according donor requirements;
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting to WEWE Project Secretariat.
- In charge of the management as Team Lead in the Project State Office.
Managing People and Coordination of Activities:
- Manage performance of the State M&E Officer, State Finance Officer, Human Resource Associate, and indirectly that of the Project Officers, providing the coaching and mentoring support needed to improve their performance.
- Effective coordination of project staff and partners to ensure structures work effectively;
Monitoring & Evaluation, Documentation and Reporting:
- Ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation of the project and generation of quality periodic reports, success stories, field observation reports and case studies in line with WEWE’s guidelines.
- Prepare regular narrative, quarterly reports and oversee financial reports in line with organisational and donor requirements;
- Document and advocate on policy demands related to improvement of inclusive and sustainable agricultural transformation in the maize value chain to improve food security drawing on the voices of impoverished smallholder farmers at the rural level.
- Compile and manage risks associated with or incidental to the project.
- Advance a data based approach to development, with high levels of transparency and accountability to both donors and communities in line with WEWE’s vision to be the most financially compliant NGO in Nigeria.
- Observe with all WEWE and donor’s performance management standards and indicators.
- Strong skills in the following areas: project and people management skills; budgeting & financial management; information management and reporting, networking and stakeholder engagement, negotiation and persuasion; planning and organising; problem analysis; oral and written communication; and organisational learning and capacity development.
- The post-holder is expected to be results and data orientated; a team-player; pro-active and creative; culturally and gender sensitive; a good listener; committed to self-development; and able to make sound judgements under pressure.
Job Requirement (Knowledge/Skills Competencies)
- A post-graduate Degree in any of Agronomy, Agricultural Extension, Agribusiness or related field.
Minimum Working Experience:
- At least 15 years’ experience in market led value chain management with experience managing donor funded food security interventions or similar projects, preferably in fragile or conflict affected states.
- Experience in working with international NGOs, local civil society organizations, government, bilateral and multilateral donors in a multi-cultural, politically sensitive environment.
- Thorough understanding of program management, donor reporting requirements and managing donor relations.
- Demonstrated financial management skills.
- Demonstrated capability to design and implement M&E systems
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a variety of internal and external relationships, including relationships with donors and research partners.
- Proven ability to manage team, with strong leadership, conceptualizing ideas and able to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skill with ability to analyse and interpret internal and external communications.
- High degree of accountability and integrity and ability to coach, mentor and inspire subordinates.
- Literacy in effective computer-based Communication tools, Presentation, Word Processing, Spreadsheet and other standard programs.
- Fluent in English Language (Written or Oral).
- Knowledge and experience of Crop rotation farming techniques, resilient and sustainable
- Knowledge and experience in implementing gender sensitive and inclusive value chains programming.
- Certification in Project Management.
- Experience with USAID.
- Understanding of Hausa Language.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline or a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, with an additional 7 years’ experience to the required minimum above. Fields of discipline and experience will be from area such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Business Management, and/or Entrepreneurship Development.
- Minimum of 10 years of regional/international experience in implementing large donor- funded agricultural value chain activities, economic growth, trade, value chain competitiveness, resilience, crop/agricultural development, and/or food security programs
- Preference will be given to those with considerable working experience in rural agricultural areas in West Africa, notably northern Nigeria and the Sahel.
- Demonstrated success in implementing programs aimed at increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of value chains using facilitation approaches and incorporating the strengthening of the resilience of small holder farmers and livestock keepers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in value chain development (i.e., USAID’s value chain and facilitation approach) that support farmers and reaches women, youth, and the poor, creativity, willingness to innovate, think systemically and design catalytic,
- Track record of project design and project implementation capacity building working with host governments, local private sector, and other related players
- Experience coordinating with subcontractors or multiple interests to achieve common goals.
- At least five years of progressively responsible and supervisory experience
- Ability to interact regularly and professionally with senior host-government and community level counterparts on activity selection, planning, and field implementation.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines
- Required oral and written communication and presentations skills in English.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects
- Strong background in gender integration and women empowerment.
- Internally: WEWE Executive Director, WEWE Finance and Admin Director, Finance Manager, State Programme Manager
- Externally: AGRA at the national level, and some interaction with local implementing partners and other stakeholders at the local level.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter in ONLY one attachment (MS word document) explaining suitability for the job to: email@example.com
- Please indicate the title of the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Applicants should provide their functional emails/mobile phone numbers on their CV as well as three professional referees. Candidates must provide functional email addresses and telephone numbers of referees.
- WEWE’S recruitment process for this positions will be on a rolling basis and while we thank all applicants for showing interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. Applications will be reviewed in batches on a first come first served basis. WEWE reserve the right to conclude this recruitment process when suitable candidates are selected.