Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: North East Media Advisor
Project Overview and Role
- The North East Media Adviser is responsible for providing technical support to the states (Borno and Yobe) teams on developing and implementing strategies to work with SHoAs in line with PERL’s Media Engagement Strategy, Theory of Change and Theory of Action, and the North East Strategic Approach.
- They will work closely with the North East Lead and the Head of Technical Support.
- The North East Media Advisor is part of the North East Team and is expected to work closely with other members of the team particularly the State Team Leaders to ensure a coordinated approach.
- They should also where relevant actively collaborate with the other Pillars of PERL and relevant contact points in other development programmes.
Visioning, strategizing, development of approach:
- Responsible for driving a politically smart scale up of engagement with the Media in both (Yobe and Borno with learning into Adamawa) including strategic advice to delivery teams, hands on partner engagement and facilitation.
- The NEPA will work under the direction of the North East Lead and, with Technical Guidance from the Head of Technical Support who will ensure synergy between Media Engagement in the North East and in the rest of PERL.
- Contribute to thinking on PERL and ECP North East’s overall strategic direction and approach,
- Lead on periodic assessments of Borno, Yobe (and Adamawa where relevant) Media organizations. Actively work with delivery teams to use research findings to set strategies for engaging the Media and identifying priority partnership and issues to support, including the design of interventions and development of work-plans.
- Actively contribute to periodic reflection and review of PERL and ECP North East’s approach to engaging the Media in line with new information and learning. Work with the North East Lead to ensure that the approach for media engagement is integrated with that for engaging the media and government.
- Provide focused support to delivery teams to develop and implement their overall work plans with due consultations with the North East Lead and the Head of Technical Support.
Leadership, teamwork, relationship management:
- Actively contribute to Team-Building within the ECP team – use of shared mission, vision, values, identity/public profile, use of staff meetings, staff welfare, social events, formal and informal opportunities, etc, to reinforce teamwork. Look out for, highlight and support resolution of internal challenges impacting on team performance
- Maintain strong working relationships with other members of the North East Team and deliver a shared approach and work plan. Provide support to other members of the team as needs arise and consult each other closely.
- Maintain close working relationships and ensure co-ordination with members of the MEL, Technical and Operational support teams
- Provide support to delivery teams and work closely with the North East Lead, States’ Team Leaders.
- Maintain close working relationships and ensure co-ordination with colleagues in ARC and LEAP
Operationalisation of approach, delivery of support, results:
- Advise Borno and Yobe teams (and Adamawa State partners as necessary) delivery teams on best tactics and approaches to deliver their work-plans and planned interventions, paying particular attention to the development of partnerships with key actors in the media.
- Through the Head of Technical Support, identify and oversee external support to ECP delivery teams from consultants and ECP’s consortium and niche partner organisations
- Support the review of progress in delivery units on a quarterly, six monthly and annual basis and adaptation of plans and capturing and reporting of results.
- Habitually monitor and promote value for money analysis and diminishing financial dependency of local partners on ECP in line with ECP’s broad empowerment approach.
Line Management Responsibilities
Line managed by the North East Lead:
- The North East Media Advisor is responsible for working under the direction provided by the North East Lead regularly reporting to her and ensuring their activities fall within agreed frameworks and operating principles, as well as building an effective working relationship more broadly.
- Agree that performance will be assessed based on these Terms of References.
- Understand that you will be expected to undertake any reasonable task as requested by the line manager.
- Maintain and actively promote the implementation of Palladium’s Code of conduct, Diversity and Inclusion, Whistle-blowing and Child Protection, Safeguarding and Respectful Workplace policies
- It is the responsibility of the staff to constantly check for updates for these courses, instructions and briefs as they may arise. There is zero tolerance on defaulters.
- Ensure familiarity with all DFID and Palladium policies & procedures and check the ECP SharePoint regularly to ensure that any updates are also being implemented in a timely manner.
- Adhere to all stipulated PERL-ECP communications protocols regarding use of official email, Box, SharePoint/MIS, Twitter, Facebook, etc. accounts.
- Ensure all labor and finances relating to this role is accurately reported (using correct codes, inserting adequate comments) in timesheets, expense claims and cashbooks. Ensure cost of all activities completed falls within that forecasted to ensure monthly variances of reimbursable income to DFID are kept below 2%.
- Work to place the programme’s core values/principles, approach, ethos and priorities above private interests while delivering to this role.
- Ensure familiarity with all DFID and Palladium Policies and procedures and check SharePoint regularly to ensure that any updates are also being implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all work is completed in an accountable and transparent manner, this includes the use of official emails for work purposes. Use of personal emails will not be permitted. All work must be saved to the agreed cloud or central server storage systems and not individual desktops or hard-drives.
- Educated to university degree level or above, preferably holding a Master’s degree
- At least 10 years’ experience in the media and voice and accountability in Nigeria
- Experience working in a donor (preferably DFID) funded programme
- Experience working in conflict environment leveraging on existing systems in a sensitive manner and innovative approach with the view of ‘do no harm’
- Wide range of experience including engaging research to support development of conflict sensitive approaches engaging recovery space and the media
- Experience working in the North East Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY states) is essential
Key competencies and professional expertise required:
- Expertise in media issues in Nigeria at the state level, and building relationships between them and state and civil society actors
- Demonstrable excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience of working with and understanding of governance, reforms and service delivery in Nigeria
- Very strong understanding of state and civil society dynamics in in the North east and in Nigeria, particularly at the state level(BAY)
- Expertise in providing technical support and capacity building to complex teams, in particular mentoring based approaches
- Strong knowledge of systems for programme delivery, including strategic planning, M&E and knowledge management
Key Behavior in Engaged Citizens:
- Accountability – Accountability entails being open and transparent in all our work, action and behavior.
- Sustainability – Keeping the process going or continuous is key.
- Respectfulness & Inclusiveness – Sensitivity to people, context and environment; everybody counts.
- Learning & Sharing – Everyone knows something and shares something.
- Teamwork – Recognizing everyone’s value and encouraging effective work in teams.
- Adaptive and Iterative – being politically smart and how well our systems and processes respond to changes is key.
Applications Close Date
3rd September, 2018
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online