Blueprint Consult Company Limited – Our client, the West African Power Pool (WAPP), is an institution established by the mandate of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to, among others, develop a sustainable regional electricity supply system in order to promote the economic growth of the ECOWAS sub region. To achieve this objective, there is the need for WAPP to establish a regional electricity market in West Africa through the appropriate development and implementation of key infrastructure so that all ECOWAS member states are given access to economic energy resources.
Job Title: Senior Technical Project Coordinator
: IMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: Nigeria – Niger – Benin/Togo – Burkina (North Core) Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Implementation Management Unit (IMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Director of IMU
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English and French
Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of a number of environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
The project is being financed by The Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, the Ministers in charge of Energy of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the establishment of an Implementation Management Unit (IMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project.
- The responsibilities and tasks of the Senior Technical Project Coordinator will be executed within the office context.
- The jobholder will however, be expected to travel periodically to various locations within the project countries and/or beyond.
- S/he will be required to put in a minimum of forty (40) hours per week but may also have to perform duties outside of normal working hours, as necessary.
- The Senior Technical Project Coordinator will lead and/or coordinate the activities of cross-disciplinary teams from central and local offices contributing to the technical aspects of the North Core project.
- S/he will serve as the technical link between the IMU, Owner’s Engineer and construction contractors.
- The jobholder will therefore ensure adequate coordination between the work programs of the contractor and the activities of the IMU offices with respect to the diligences required to prepare the project sites for work.
- S/he will also coordinate safety arrangements for all project activities with other agencies and utilities where necessary.
- The Senior Technical Project Coordinator is responsible for monitoring all construction work, addressing all technical issues related to the implementation of the project and reporting to relevant entities among others.
The Senior Technical Project Coordinator will be responsible for a minimum of the following key tasks:
- Ensure overall management of the project from concept to completion including siting, environmental permitting, planning, estimating, engineering, right of way acquisition, project controls, bid phase services, procurement, constructability reviews, material management, construction management, and closeout;
- Drive project schedules, manage scope, and control project costs;
- Initiate, monitor and coordinate all the technical activities of the IMU to meet the schedules and requirements of all construction works;
- Manage the Owner’s Engineer teams to ensure the studies and works supervision for the project implementation;
- Coordinate safety arrangements with all external agencies and ensure that all relevant safety objectives, legal requirements and donors safeguards are observed;
- Coordinate the preparation of project status reports for management by collecting, analysing and summarizing information and trends and recommending actions;
- Assess and advise on all proposed technical variations, justification or otherwise of claims and technical issues;
- Liaise with Environmental and Social Coordinators in all issues related to project activities and insure that donors safeguards are implemented;
- Vet and authorize all significant engineering correspondence emanating from the IMU;
- Control, manage and mentor all IMU staff (central and local offices) and resources assigned to the Engineering Function;
- Coordinate the review of designs for (i) Communication and SCADA Systems; ii) the Rural Electrification components and (iii) the national projects associated with North Core Regional Project
- Review technical specifications, designs and drawings submitted by Contractors and Consultants;
- Review tender documents for the procurement of works, services and goods.
- The position of Senior Technical Project Coordinator is for a term of approximately thirty six (36) months. This is a full time position and the jobholder must demonstrate the required dedication and commitment to achieving results.
- The Senior Technical Project Coordinator reports to the IMU Director. S/he is the Head of the Engineering Function and supervises a team of four specialized engineers (Substations, Transmission Line, SCADA Engineer and Civil Engineer).
- S/he is expected to maintain effective working relations and communicate regularly with the Owner’s Engineer and Contractors on the execution schedule. The jobholder will also maintain regular working relations with external agencies regarding required project related safety arrangements among others.
Requirements, Qualification and Experience
The Engineering Specialist must have a minimum of the following:
- A minimum of an Electrical Engineering Degree with at least fifteen (15) years of proven experience in the power sector and; registrable with a professional body;
- Proven record of successfully achieved project targets in a minimum of two (2) previous electricity transmission projects (132 kV and above);
- Qualification in project management will be an added advantage;
- Regional experience in coordinating and working with multi-disciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable.
An excellent knowledge of the following relevant areas is required:
- Construction of high voltage transmission lines (132 kV and above);
- Contract administration and different forms of standard contract provisions related to engineering projects;
- Advanced knowledge of power systems engineering;
- Adequate knowledge and understanding of procurement processes.
Skills and Competencies
The following skills are required for effective performance:
- Well developed, detail oriented organizational skills and proven project management skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered;
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills;
- Very good team skills; ability to work with various teams to set and achieve goals based on project priorities;
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills in French and English;
- Ability to work, perform and adapt in a multicultural environment;
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project) required to deliver professional output.
- The Senior Technical Project Coordinator will be located at the head office of the IMU in Abuja, Nigeria but will be required to pay frequent visits to the local offices of the IMU, project sites and field offices of the North Core project.
- A key requirement for the position is having proficiency in English and French.
- The Senior Technical Project Coordinator will prepare weekly and monthly construction reports to include information such as but not limited to financial reporting and forecasting, progress, schedule updates, quality, safety, environment and identification of project risks.
The following will be part of performance assessment criteria for the position:
- Achievement of project cost variance of 0% i.e. deliver project within budget;
- Delivery of key project activities within specified project schedules and scope;
- Submission of timely project status reports to the IMU Director and other stakeholders;
- Excellent safety record on the project and adherence to safety requirements by Owner’s Engineer and Contractors;
- High performance and excellent goal achievement rate of direct reports.
- Other criteria may be developed by the Director of the IMU based on deliverables agreed with the jobholder.
- The performance of the Senior Technical Project Coordinator will be evaluated annually by the Director of the IMU, based on the above performance criteria, an annual work plan and deliverables agreed upon at the beginning of the appraisal period. Quarterly performance reviews will however, be conducted by the Director to facilitate the identification and prompt management of performance related issues.
- Jobholders are required to be fluent in French and English. Ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word, Excel, Power Point) as well as the internet is also a key requirement for all positions.
- This is full time position, envisaged for a term of approximately 36 months. Successful candidates will be stationed at the IMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria but will be required to make frequent visits to the field offices of the IMU and/or project sites located in any of the following countries: Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso.
- Shortlisted candidates must be ready to travel for interviews within two (2) weeks from the date of notification.
Application Closing Date
08:00 GMT, 17th September, 2018
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should kindly download Application Form (Ms Word) and complete, clearly indicating the position you are applying for. Send completed Application Form accompanied by an Application Letter to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Candidates will be selected in accordance with the selection method for individual consultants set out in the Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
For further enquiries kindly send emails to email@example.com or call +233 302 963401